Saturday, April 14, 2007

Milwaukee US Attorney On Firings

U.S. Attorney Steven Biskupic, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Wisconsin and once targeted for firing by the U.S. Justice Department, released a statement this morning in response to a McClatchy New Service story, carried in today's Journal Sentinel, that quoted a source saying Biskupic was once on a Bush administration firing list.

Here is the statement:

  • Until the recent controversy surrounding the firings of eight United State Attorneys around the country, it was never communicated to me that my job could be in jeopardy or that I was considered to be disloyal to President Bush's agenda.
  • It is my understanding that my name appears on a list, which was a ranking of United States Attorneys. My name appeared in a category questioning my performance and loyalty to the President. That same list characterized esteemed Chicago United States Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald as "mediocre." I believe the list has no credibility.
  • The charging decision in the Georgia Thompson case was made in consultation with the then-Democratic State Attorney General, and the Democratic District Attorney for Dane County. The decision to charge Thompson was based solely on the facts, and was not made with consideration of my job status. To my knowledge at the time, my job status was entirely secure.
  • I am a career prosecutor, selected as United States Attorney through a bipartisan commission. My numerous public corruption cases include prosecutions of Democrats and Republicans. Our records show that since 2002 when I became United States Attorney, I have brought at least 12 cases against individuals who donated money to Republican candidates or who were aligned with the Republican Party.

No comments: